The Busy Bean

Preparing for Controversy

I have a big decision to make, and I know that people will have very different opinions on the matter.  So here goes:

This came home to live at our house today

I am so excited I could just spit. (I have really just wanted to say that for a long time, because I’m really not sure what spitting has to do with being excited… maybe that’s another discussion to be had.) I haven’t had a piano since I got married and left behind my mom’s piano – even though I begged her to let me take it since I’m the only one who really plays the piano in the family. Then a while ago my aunt asked me if I wanted to buy hers for a great steal, since it’s just been in storage for years and nobody is using it. “Well yes,” I said, trying to contain my excitement, “Yes I do indeed.” {This is the same aunt I got David Bowie and Sue Sylvester from.}

But here’s the downside – of course there had to be a downside – see the bench? Well the top of the piano and the key cover look like that too (truth be told, something was spilled on the key cover and it looks worse). But all in all, for a piano that has been in storage for years, it’s not too bad.

Now the controversy – here’s what I want to do with it:

Source: allthingsthrifty.com via Colleen on Pinterest

or

Source: blog.addicted2decorating.com via Colleen on Pinterest

or

Source: rebekahgough.blogspot.com via Colleen on Pinterest

maybe

Source: thedesignblog.org via Colleen on Pinterest

ok, not that last one. But quite possibly…

Source: rallsfam.blogspot.com via Colleen on Pinterest

See what I mean? I’m pretty sure my mother-in-law would faint if I painted a piano (especially if I painted it red). Maybe not? She’s the first person I thought of when I started thinking this thought. But there are plenty of people out there who would throw themselves in front of any natural wood to prevent paint from touching it. I’m not one of those people. Sure, I most likely wouldn’t paint it if the wood looked great already, but it doesn’t. However, the guts of the piano are in excellent condition. I want it to look as good as it will sound after I’ve had it tuned a few times (been in storage for years, remember?)

On that note {yes, pun intended} does anyone know a good piano tuner in my area? And I’d love to hear your votes on piano painting. I have more examples over on pinterest.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

21 Thoughts on “Preparing for Controversy

1. i say paint away! paint paint paint… i really love the first picture… piano in white. beautiful!

2. paint it!
    i wouldn’t even think another second about it.

3. jkribbit on July 10, 2011 at 1:03 am said:

I don’t have strong feelings either way regarding the paint. There’s obviously damage to the wood – so if painting it makes you happy – go for it. :)

The reason I’m commenting is that I do have an amazing piano tuner. He does a lot of piano refurbishing, too. He has worked extensively on my aunt’s Steinway grand and he’s been our tuner for our home baby grand for years. Very reasonably priced as well. Let me know if you are interested and I’ll pm you with his info.

Yay for pianos!! So excited for you!! :)

4. love the blue, love the off-white!

5. Oh, go for it! Paint it a wonderful color and enjoy it every time you look at it! The wood is in terrible shape. Don’t waste a second fretting about it! Choose a fabulous color and go for it!

6. I would paint it….I can’t wait to see how it turns out! =)

7. Rachel on July 10, 2011 at 1:31 pm said:

Paint it! I’ve done a bit of research on pianos. They don’t hold their value unless they are really expensive to begin with. A nice paint job would at least make it pleasant to look at. Plus a bit of shock value for the family is always a good thing.

8. Mother-in-law on July 10, 2011 at 4:37 pm said:

This mother-in-law is not prone to fainting. However, a red or blue piano just might do it, especially without ample warning. :) Out of those pics, you could guess I like the ivory one best. It seems to me that painting and strip and stain may be your only options.

9. I vote paint alllll the way. Go bold…its merely paint! I love the blue….

10. Painting can be undone! If you paint it and then wonder, “what was I thinking?,” then you can strip it and stain it. Time consuming, yes, but not permanent:) Go with your gut- it is going to be something you see every day and you have to like it!!! I don’t have a single aqua think in my house, but I am really loving the aqua piano you posted:) I look forward to seeing it after you finish with it!!!

11. mistie on July 10, 2011 at 10:41 pm said:

My vote is paint. But, that’s coming from a gal who painted an entire kitchen of cabinets approximately 2 days after moving into a brand new home where the cabinets had never seen a fingerprint much less a box of cereal. (I painted them RED!)

12. Gloria on July 11, 2011 at 7:31 am said:

I agree, painting is probably the best solution, but I am with Mother-in-law, while you know I love red, the ivory one is beautiful.
    Just wondering why I didn’t see a black antiqued option?

13. I definitely don’t think it’s sacrilege to paint. I think that turquoise is stunning, personally. :)

14. Casey on July 12, 2011 at 11:00 am said:

DO IT! I actually have been looking for a cheap piano that I can this this too for a while after I saw the post on All Things Thrifty.

15. Paint! I love them all. As much as I love the blue one, I personally would probably go with something neutral like the ivory just so it isn’t as trendy and can go with changing decor over the years.

16. I think making it look like the blue piano would be awesome! I don’t know anything about pianos, though… does paint affect the sound? I know if someone suggested painting a cello, I’d freak out. :>

17. Krist on July 23, 2011 at 11:19 am said:

I’m one of Steph’s friends, and I say PAINT IT!! (The Ivory was my favorite)

I also know a good piano tuner if you’re in SLC and you still need one.

18. wow…these pianos are very pretty… and if these is classic we can paint them whit warm colors, I think.
    what do u think?

19. Karen on March 24, 2012 at 3:52 pm said:

Hope you painted it BLUE. I would love to see what you did.

20. Pingback: The Busy Bean · Ready, Set, Go!

21. Pingback: Painted Piano {a few little tips along the way} | The Busy Bean